"Although I speak from my own experience, I feel that no one has the right to impose his or her beliefs on another person. I will not propose to you that my way is best. The decision is up to you. If you find some point which may be suitable for you, then you can carry out experiments for yourself. If you find that it is off no use, then you can discard it." Dalai Lama...

Monday 23 April 2012

Online or outdoors. A real choice made by a girl who has no restrictions on screen time.


We went for a lovely walk along the river yesterday. It was Mily's choice of someting we could all do together.
We saw this ballet dancing tree :-) 
Milly went on a rope swing tied to a large tree...Many times:-)
There was also a bit of magic that happened with a shaft of light that I was able to capture :-)


We didn't walk too far but it was really lovely to be out together.

We got home and I prepped tea whilst Alan mowed the lawns and Milly went online to chat to El and Amy for a while. As we were eating she asked Alan if he would walk round the village with her after tea. He of course said yes and off they went with Milly filling him in on her new favourite singer Marina and the diamonds ...


This evening she joined Alan on a walk round the village and then bounced for a while before coming in to check out who was online. She had a brief chat with El I think. About 7.45 she came into the lounge and asked when it was likely to get dark... Alan said about 9.30 ish and then we asked why. She said she would like to go on the walk we had done yesterday. Alan was watching tele and the washing up was piled high in the sink. I was unable to go - headache again today and I am out early tomorrow to meditate with friends so need to conserve what little energy I have.... 
Alan was happy to go and I am resingned  happy to doing the washing up so he is able to take her :-) 

Just before they went she looked at her ipod and exclaimed that there were loads of folk online ( folk she could have chatted to ) but she said she would just let El know she was going and then she signed off.

Just an example of all the times Milly ( who has no restrictions on her screen use at all ) chooses - of her own free will - to do something other than sit in front of a screen.

Four years ago when we set out on this route I had read a huge amount of unschooling blogs and websites that had stories of families who had been through it and reading their stories assured me this would happen but I couldn't quite believe it. 
Freedom of choice does mean there are times when she watches more TV - or is online -  more than most people think is healthy.
Given true choice in how she spends her time and interesting options to do other things I have seen the balance that an overall picture gives though. 
I like the picture very much.  

3 comments:

stefndawniy said...

Lovely xx

MillyMoo said...

It was 19:24 atchully! LOL x

Lily said...

So true!

We have days of TV sometimes. Today has been a day of computer virtual worlds. Sometimes it's a day of playing with friends or a day of arts and crafting.

Lovely to hear how it's worked out for you.